Thursday, August 26, 2010

My RN adventures begin

In nursing school, they teach you the basics of anatomy, nursing procedures like Iv's , the effects of pharmacology on the body and how and what to do to keep patients moving toward "normal".    That is the basics in laymen terms.   In addition to learning how to care for an actual patient, you also have t0 learn HOW to pass the board exams.

This is a nerve racking experience that the nurse only has to do once (as long as she keeps her license up to date).  There are special classes one can pay for (and I did) to teach you how to "pass the boards".  I personally found most of them to be useless, that knowing the info would be the key.  For the test, you have I believe 6 hours max.... and the test is computer generated.  A question is asked and if you answer it correctly, they give you a harder question, answer that correctly and the sequence is repeated (another harder question) until you miss a question.  THEN they ask you an easier question and you start the "routine" all over again.  From what I understand, the reasoning behind this methodology is a "knowledgable  nurse" will have more swings in the up side (answering harder question is going up) than down (missing a question).  Once the person has sustained the pattern for the predetermined time, the exam is over.  There are a few catches...... first one is they also throw in 5-10 questions that are "new" to the exam..... in essence "guinea pig" questions.  They will not count in this exam, but are being tested for future use.  If enough people validate the question by actually answering it correctly, they may use it in a future exam for others.   The second catch is the test can be as short as 75 questions long  or....to 265 questions long.  It depends if you are able to keep the rhythm going up enough to satisfy the computer that you are indeed knowledgable!  You do not now if you passed or failed.... the machine just turns off and away you go to worry until the results are posted online in a few days.  I think this is where some nurses learn to smoke!  There is an above average number of health care workers who smoke  .... weird info indeed!

I am a fast test taker.  I either know it, or I don't.  I found that I could talk myself out of correct answers to tests when I tried to mull over the question.  I "reasoned" an answer.  So knowing this, I prepared myself to just go with my gut and do it.  I know it.... or I don't!  I took my test in 45 minutes..... the machine cut off at 75 questions and I up to walk out.  I think the others who started the test around me surely thought I gave up, I could feel their tension,  but I KNEW I had passed.   I admit that I thought I did this all on my own, but He was taking this test with me..... which is kinda cheating because He knows everything!  LOL   So I passed..... and I was elated!  Jamey also passed!  We are polar opposites on tests!  lol   She taked FOREVER (she knows I love her).... I know this because, as her best friend, I would sit quietly and wait for her to finish every test in every class we had together.  She was always sure she failed.... but she did not.... she is an awesome RN and I would trust my life to her (and I did, during my back surgery hospital stay, she stayed with me the first night so that I could rest.... I was sure something would happen and the staff nurses wouldn't be there!).  Anyway... back to the NCLEX.... Jamey took the test in several hours.... and she also got 75 questions!  She was so sure she failed and I was so sure she passed!  God was with us both during this time (as always) guiding us.  I so wish I would have realized this then, but knowing it now makes it so much sweeter to me.

Before you get your actual license, a new nurse can work as an "in progress" nurse... an IP.  This is what is printed on your hospital badge... I guess so the docs won't point to us in an emergency and expect us to know what the heck we are doing!!
Maybe some new nurses know more than I did, I can only tell you how it was for me.  I felt like  a deer with my eyes wide open just before the car crashes into it at 65 mph!   It never seemed like it would be possible to have fear and elation at the same moment, but that is the best analogy that I can think of.  I guess like going over the first hill on a super high roller coaster.... not knowing what is in store at the next curve and screaming your head off (internally at work) in sheer fright and joy!  Of course, with that pasted on "I know what I am doing" smile.  lol    I still smile at how my first year as an RN... what an awesome experience!

I told you I might get these Blessings out of order, so bear with me as I back up just a bit here...

I graduated in Dec 2007  with about 200+ other nurses.  Everyone was interviewing for any job possible.... the area had never had so many new nurses available at the same time.  I was a complete wreck, I was positive that this whole thing had been a mistake, here I was 48 years old, a squeeky clean new nurse with her IP and a bad back.  Who in their right mind would want me???  Again, Jamey was my guiding Angel.  He knew I needed her to guide me... she took me shopping and helped me buy a couple of suits (I felt completely inept - still do... a style maven I am not!).  She worked on my resume and built my confidence up.  Mind you, she was still in school and working on me!  A true loving Sister!!  When others were looking for any interview, God provided me with two.  I had both interviews the same week I graduated, one on the same day even!   Jesus, my Lord and Savior, was holding my hand through this.... because I was offered both jobs!   The first was in maternal child (what I really wanted) at a hospital that was 45 minutes from me, and the other on a medical/surgical floor at a local hospital.  I really wanted the maternal child, but my husband was worried about me traveling so much.  After much contemplation, I chose the local hospital and the med/surg unit.  Now I know this was another Blessing and a little tree planted for me.  :)  :)  I want to take this moment and thank Him for these many Blessings.  I truly thought these were my feats and accomplishments... I was so very brash... thinking I was pretty good.  Truthfully was I pretty full of myself.  Oh yes, I used phrases like "Blessed" and threw His name around a bit, but Honestly, I didn't "get it".  But I do now!!!!!  :) :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment